A quick search only on how to make money from your WordPress blogs will show countless tutorials and tips. Many people have already written on this topic, and I’m not going add to it.
What I’m going to do here is talk about some of the tips that work for me. This post only talks about display advertising, especially Google AdSense.
There are multiple ways to earn money online from your blogs. From display advertising to affiliate programs are some of the programs that webmasters use to earn some money online.
Since I only do display advertising, I am going to describe what I’ve used over the years to enhance my earnings.
Let me clear one thing… I only use Google AdSense display ads on this blog and all the tips below are related to Google AdSense only.
I have tried others display advertising services, and none of them seemed to work as well as AdSense for me.
Below are some of my tips for those who are thinking about using AdSense display advertising on their blogs.
- Google AdSense is a great place to start. It’s easy to join and as long as you follow the rules, you’ll earn money with your content.
When using AdSense ads, your #1 priority is not to focus on making money right away. Instead, you should focus on creating great content that will bring traffic to your site.
2. Look for a great WordPress theme you can use to display your ads at the right locations. In my opinion the best places to put your ads are at the top of your pages.
Places where users will look first, next to the content they’re reading. I wouldn’t put a wide banner at the very top of my pages.. I’ve observed that they don’t work well.
I like my ads units closer to the content users are reading. Your goals are for your users to see your ads. If they can’t see them, they won’t be of any use.
I always used three ad units on a single page. Using only two units is also great in some cases depending on your blog themes.
3. Don’t use the 300 x 600 ad unit at the top of your pages on the sidebar. Instead, put it below the middle of your pages (the fold).
4. Don’t use two 300 x 250 AdSense units at the top… one 300 x 250 and another size.
5. Using two 336 x 280 at the top might hurt your traffic.. Using 300 x 600 at the top might also hurt your traffic.
6. Running HTTPS actually decreases your AdSense earnings.. so if making more money is what you want, don’t migrate to HTTPS just yet.
7. I don’t put AdSense unit inside most posts.. I personally think your website traffic will decrease when you do that.
The best setup in my opinion is the have one 300 x 250 unit along with a long 160 x 600 on the left of your content. Then a large 300 x 600 below the fold of your pages.
If you follow these simple rules, you may increase your traffic and your earnings AdSense earnings.
If you know a method that works for you, please comment below.