Windows Server 2022 is the latest version of Microsoft’s server operating system, and it offers a wide range of new features and functionality. However, understanding the pricing and licensing for Windows Server 2022 can be complex, especially for organizations with complex IT environments.
In this blog post, we will provide a comprehensive overview of Windows Server 2022 pricing and licensing, including the different editions of Windows Server 2022, the different licensing options available, and how to choose the right licensing option for your organization.
Editions of Windows Server 2022
Windows Server 2022 is available in two editions: Standard and Datacenter. The Standard edition is designed for small and medium-sized businesses, while the Datacenter edition is designed for large enterprises and organizations with complex IT environments.
The following table summarizes the key differences between the Standard and Datacenter editions of Windows Server 2022:
|Maximum number of physical cores licensed per server||2||Unlimited|
|Maximum number of virtual machines licensed per server||2||Unlimited|
|Support for Hyper-V||Yes||Yes|
|Support for Storage Replica||Yes||Yes, up to 2TB|
|Support for Storage Spaces Direct||Yes||Yes|
|Support for Shielded Virtual Machines||No||Yes|
|Support for Stretch Clusters||No||Yes|
Licensing options for Windows Server 2022
Windows Server 2022 offers various licensing options, including:
- Per-core licensing: Per-core licensing is the most common way to license Windows Server. Under per-core licensing, you must purchase a license for each physical core on your server.
- Per-virtual machine licensing: Per-virtual machine licensing is a new licensing option that was introduced in Windows Server 2022. Under per-virtual machine licensing, you must purchase a license for each virtual machine on your server. Per-virtual machine licensing is only available for customers with subscription licenses or licenses with active Software Assurance.
- Server Essentials licensing: Server Essentials is a special licensing program for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices. Server Essentials includes a license for Windows Server Standard, as well as a number of other Microsoft products, such as Exchange Server and Office Standard.
Choosing the right licensing option for your organization
The best way to choose the right Windows Server 2022 licensing option for your organization is to assess your specific needs and requirements. If you have a simple IT environment with a few physical servers, then per-core licensing is likely the best option for you. However, if you have a complex IT environment with a large number of virtual machines, then per-virtual machine licensing may be a better option.
If you are unsure which licensing option is right for your organization, you should contact a Microsoft partner or reseller. They can help you assess your needs and choose the best licensing option for your organization.
Additional licensing considerations
In addition to the licensing options listed above, there are a few other licensing considerations to keep in mind when licensing Windows Server 2022:
- Client Access Licenses (CALs): CALs are required for every user or device that accesses a Windows Server 2022 server. There are two types of CALs: Device CALs and User CALs. Device CALs allow a single device to access any Windows Server 2022 server, while User CALs allow a single user to access any Windows Server 2022 server.
- Software Assurance: Software Assurance is a subscription program that provides customers with access to the latest software updates, support, and training. Software Assurance is not required to license Windows Server 2022, but it can be a good value for customers who want to stay up-to-date on the latest software and support.
- Volume licensing: Volume licensing is a licensing program for organizations with five or more licenses. Volume licensing offers a number of benefits, such as discounts on software and licensing flexibility.
Windows Server 2022 is a powerful and versatile server operating system that offers a wide range of features and functionality. However, understanding the pricing and licensing for Windows Server 2022 can be complex.
By following the information in this blog post, you can gain a better understanding of Windows Server 2022 pricing and licensing, and choose the right licensing option for your organization.