Are you tired of using the old, boring command prompt on your Windows PC? Do you want a more modern and customizable terminal experience? Look no further! Microsoft has introduced the new Windows Terminal – an open-source terminal application that brings together all your command-line tools in one place.
In this guide, we will cover all the essential details about the new Windows Terminal and guide you on how to install it on your computer. Let’s get started!
What is Windows Terminal?
Windows Terminal is a contemporary, swift, and robust terminal application designed for Windows 10, offering users a streamlined command-line experience. It enables the concurrent operation of multiple command-line tools and effortless switching between them.
The new Windows Terminal is built on top of the Windows Console, which means it supports all the features of the command prompt and PowerShell. However, it also includes additional features such as multiple tabs, custom themes, and support for different command-line tools like PowerShell Core, Command Prompt, WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux), and more.
How to Get the New Windows Terminal
Getting the new Windows Terminal on your computer is easy and straightforward. Follow these simple steps to download and install it:
- Open the Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 PC.
- Search for “Windows Terminal” in the search bar.
- Click on “Get” to start downloading and installing the application.
- Once installed, you can find the Windows Terminal in your Start menu or by searching for it.
- Click on the Windows Terminal icon to open the application.
Features of the New Windows Terminal
The new Windows Terminal comes with a variety of features that make it a powerful and versatile tool for developers, system administrators, and regular users alike. Some of the key features include:
- Multiple tabs: The Windows Terminal allows you to open multiple tabs within the same window, making it easier to manage different sessions and tasks.
- Customizable themes: You can customize the colors, background image, font, and other aspects of your terminal to suit your preferences and needs.
- Multiple shells: The Windows Terminal supports multiple shells, including PowerShell, Command Prompt, and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).
- Unicode support: With the new Windows Terminal, you can finally see emojis in your command line!
- GPU accelerated text rendering: This feature makes text rendering smoother and more efficient, enhancing the overall user experience.
- Split panes: You can split your terminal window into multiple panes, allowing you to view different sessions side by side.
- Search functionality: The Windows Terminal has a built-in search feature that lets you quickly find text within your command line history.
These are just some of the many features that make the new Windows Terminal a valuable addition to your toolkit.
The new Windows Terminal is a powerful and highly customizable tool that offers various features and functionalities for developers and users. Its support for multiple shells, integration with Azure Cloud Shell, built-in search functionality, full Unicode support, and cross-platform compatibility make it a must-have for any modern workspace.
With its constant updates and improvements, the Windows Terminal continues to be a top choice for anyone looking for an efficient and flexible terminal experience. So why wait? Get the new Windows Terminal and explore its features today!