For more on this release, please click here.
To get Firefox 18 in Windows and Mac, go to the download page on Mozilla.org and download a copy. Or open your current version and go to Firefox –> Help –> About Firefox to get updated. Android devices can get it from Google Play Store.
In Ubuntu, you may have to add addition software sources, which I will show you later. In a few days, you may be able to get it just by updating your system.
Here are some of the new features added to Firefox 18:
- Support for Retina Display on OS x 10.7 and up
- Preliminary support for WebRTC
- Support for new DOM property ( windows.devicePixelRatio )
- Improvement in startup time through smart handling of signed extensions certificates
- Support for W3C touch events implemented, taking the place of MozTouch events
- Improved responsiveness for user on proxies
To install it in Ubuntu, press Ctrl – Alt – T on your keyboard to open the terminal. When it opens, run the commands below to add its PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa
Finally, run the commands below to update your system and upgrade Firefox.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade